Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Scent of Spring


Are you starting to get the winter blues? Are you dying for that first sign of spring - something, anything to tell you that this snow is over? Well just because April showers and May flowers are still months away, doesn't mean you can't bring spring to you. One of the easiest ways to bring a little sunshine and happiness into your life is fresh cut flowers.

Pretty peonies via Tumblr

I don't know what it is, but when I come into a room prettied up by some gorgeous blooms, my day gets a little sunnier. I don't know if it's the smell of the flowers or the splash of colour that makes me happy, but whatever it is, it works.

If you're looking to spice up your dreary winter room with some fresh flowers, you don't need to look very far. Many local flower shops sell even the most summery of blooms all year round (see below for some of my favourites).  And if weekly flowers just aren't in your budget, you can always pick up a bouquet at the grocery store - a more wallet-friendly option.

If you want to save money, try buying the flowers in bunches and arranging them yourself.  It will be cheaper than purchasing the them as a pre-made bouquet.  Now, if you're like me and the very idea of DIY fills you with cold sweats, don't despair.  There are numerous videos online that teach the basics of flower arranging.  Not to mention, Martha Stewart has a huge selection of videos on her site dedicated to floral arranging. Of the videos I watched, I like this one from LaurenConrad.com. It's short and straight forward and gives some good tips.  Check it out:        



If you're looking for some local shops to buy some beautiful bouquets, here are a few to try:

The Watering Can - 28 James St., St. Catharines
BBBlooms - 62 Welland Ave., St. Catharines
Vermeer's Garden Centre and Flower Shop - 684 South Pelham Rd., Welland

And don't forget that you can always find great deals on fresh flowers at your local grocery store - Sobeys and Zehrs have some good choices.  For how to make the most out of your grocery store flowers, check out this Buzzfeed article.

10 comments:

  1. I am the biggest fan of pretty fresh flowers, "the smell of the flowers or the splash of colour that makes me happy, but whatever it is, it works. " yes, they really make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have been feeling the winter blues lately and this just inspired me to try making my own flower arrangement this week! Thanks Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LC does it again, what a simple, fun and great tutorial! It's nice to find creative new ways to make the things around us shine a little brighter! What a perfect DIY for valentine's day, nice work Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Lauren Conrad! She has the cutest website if you've never seen it - laurenconrad.com

      Delete
  4. I am obsessed with your blog!! It's so pretty and girly.. just reading it makes me happy. (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexa! That's the best compliment I could get :)

      Delete
  5. This blog is great because it gives me decorating ideas. In this month of February I am definitely experiencing the winter blues. I am sure adding some flowers in my room similar to the picture you have provided will lift my spirits up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter blues has me feeling down, so as a gentlemen, is it weird to buy flowers? Controversial, but there is always an alternative.

    Bro tip time !

    Inspired by this blog post, I have taken a trip to a florist and invested in a small "Pachira aquatica" also known as a "money tree" and I am loving it. Improving my mood whilst maintaining masculinity.

    Yes I have named my little plant, Arlene Dickinson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mm Flowers. They just make life so much more colourful and happy. I like the idea of saving money and still have a pretty room. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your idea to spruce up a room with fresh cut flowers to beat the winter blues, and I also loved visiting your blog for the same relief. What a beautiful, feminine design! Keep the good advice coming!

    ReplyDelete