Saturday, February 22, 2014

Confetti For Everyone

Via Wedding Party
It's here, the confetti post. After last week's look at pink champagne, I knew I had to share my other love: confetti. I know it seems a little weird, I mean how can tiny cut-up pieces of paper bring me so much joy? They just do. That's the great thing about embracing the details - the smallest thing can make you happy. Try standing in the middle of a confetti storm and not smile, I dare you!

Rose Petal Confetti via English Wedding
According to one of my all-time favourite Christmas gifts: The Encyclopedia of the Exquisite, confetti began as food.  Medieval Italians used to toss candied spices or fruits off their balconies to the people below. Ouch! I'm not so sure getting pelted with sugarcoated almonds would appeal to me as much as the light floating of tissue paper shards.  Well, whatever its origins, I'm glad that confetti as we know it today exists.

The best thing about confetti? It's absolutely easy to make.  There's not a lot of thinking that goes into cutting up paper - or for an even more romantic, whimsical experience, cut up rose petals (see right.) There are also tons of confetti-themed DIY projects you can try.  Style Motivation has a post featuring 17 cute confetti crafts. Check out the slide show below for some of my favourite confetti themed ideas.



 

For instructions on how to make any of these gorgeous goodies, follow the links below.

1 - Confetti Champagne Bottle (source: The Hunted Interior)
2 - Confetti Dipped Balloons (source: StudioDIY)
3 - Confetti Poppers (source: WeddingBells)
4 - Confetti Stix (source: Best Friends for Frosting)
5 - Confetti Manicure (source: The Beauty Department)

6 comments:

  1. I also love confetti and last week attempted to fill a bunch of balloons with it for a friend's birthday. It turns out the balloons weren't very transparent, so it didn't work out, but I will definitely attempt it again. I mean, confetti inside of balloons just seems necessary. If the second attempt doesn't work, I will definitely be trying the confetti dipped balloons idea. Great post Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I don't think I've ever given much thought to confetti but now I'm starting to come around. I love your examples of how to use confetti and really want to try out the confetti manicure, maybe I'll give it a go tonight. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tips for confetti use are so cute - I'm definitely going to try a confetti manicure on myself - no other manicure would be better suited to hold a glass of bubbly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting - I actually realized I had no idea of the origin of confetti, "sugar coated almond" ammunition sound like a good idea for my wedding !

    I will be sure to send an invite your way Erin, as you can be one of my special selected confetti sharpshooters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never one for confetti but that confetti manicure certainly caught my eye. Thanks for sharing the origins of these colorful little pieces, I really enjoyed reading this post as well as your blog. Now off to try that manicure idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your love of confetti. I totally agree, stand in the middle of a confetti storm and not smile...impossible! The way it has seemingly made a comeback warms my heart. Confetti is not just for kids! I had no idea of it's origin, thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete