Friday, January 24, 2014

Raindrops on Roses

"When the dog bites, when the bees sting..."

Remember that scene in the Sound of Music where all the children are frightened by the thunderstorm and Julie Andrews sings to them to not be afraid?  (If you've never seen the movie, get up right now and go watch it. Right. Now.)  Well, Fraulein Maria's answer to fear and sadness was to counter them with happy memories.  I know it sounds cheesy but it really works.

Our lives, to use a common cliche, are very much like a roller coaster - constant loops, steady climbs, stomach-dropping lows - and we all have a very human tendency to focus only on those moments that make us feel not so great.  So, what should we do when we're staring down from the top of the roller coaster bracing for the inevitable drop?  Sing about it! No, I'm just kidding, that might make things worse. What we should do, is think about our favourite things. Those inexplicable, wonderful things in everyday life that can make us smile no matter what.

The goal of this blog is to celebrate all the numerous things in our lives that already make us happy. And maybe by reading the things that make others smile, you'll find something new to love. I'd love to hear from all of you - what makes you smile?  What do you sing about during a thunderstorm?   

Me? I think about champagne and confetti.
       

Via The Glitter Guide
 

4 comments:

  1. How do you solve a problem like Maria? I mean, Erin. The Sound of Music is a wonderful example to describe your blog. I'm looking forward to reading what makes you happy. Maybe that happiness will rub off on me. (Sings: Doe, a deer, a female deer; ray, a drop of golden sun...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read this blog! I have to agree with you, nothing compares to champagne and confetti. Life gets so busy and we often forget to be grateful for all the wonderful things in life that make us happy. I look forward to learning about what makes you happy and to have a weekly reminder to remember what makes ME happy. "So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this concept! Plus the name couldn't get more fun. Can't wait to look back on this blog and seeing what makes you happy. Keep up the awesome work Erin. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also can't wait to read this blog, I love the idea! It is truly inspired, and I also happen to love Champagne! What makes me smile? Baking and filling the house with delicious smells on a cold winter day is definitely something that makes me smile. I look forward to smiling a lot this semester!

    ReplyDelete