Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Lost Art of Letter Writing


Via Coco/Mingo
Most of my daily communications that aren't face to face are just quick texts, business-like emails and random status updates. Though they do their job in conveying a message, there is rarely any art to them. Most of the time they don't even feature fully formed sentences, just some sort of short form speak that brings no joy to the reader. Written communication has become something we have to do, not something we want to do.

The simple solution to finding joy in your writing again, is to write someone a letter - not an email, but a good old-fashioned, pen and paper letter. There are so many details to cherish in this process that it can't not make you happy. There's the choice of stationery, the pen, and if you're whimsical like me, there's the wax seal for the back (if you're going to do something, do it right!) And if you want to get really fancy, try your hand at calligraphy for an extra-special feel.

The only thing better than writing the letter? Receiving the letter.  Whoever you send your letter to will be in for a happy treat when they open their mailbox and see your sparking stationery nestled in between bills and junk mail. Not only are the details of an everyday activity bring some happiness to your life, but you're sharing that happiness with others. Everybody wins!  


BONUS: for all you men out there who think that writing letters is girly and something you'd never want to do, read this blog post from The Art of Manliness!

Letter Writing Favourite Things:


Personalized Stationery
http://www.amazon.ca/Letter-Celebration-Lost-Art-Writing/dp/1592408354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394906047&sr=8-1&keywords=to+the+letter
To The Letter
Calligraphy Set
Calligraphy Set

Pink Wax Seal

7 comments:

  1. I still love to write and receive actual pen and paper lettes, but with the cost of stamps going up to $100 soon, it may soon become cost prohibitive. I still however, send my 89 year old aunt letters and cards even though I speak to her on the phone on a daily basis. I know it makes her smile when she gets a card or a letter and I feel the satisfaction of having made her happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love letters. I used to be really good at sending them but have neglected to do that the last while. I just got a card in the mail this week for St Paddy day and it seriously put a spring in my step. I also find them SUPER romantic. Ahhhh the love of literature. And the literate. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love letters. Writing or receiving. I remember one summer my friend and I tried to do a 'Travelling Pants' thing with homemade jewelry, and we didn't let ourselves email each other notes, we had to mail them- and she was alllll the way in Bermuda. It took forever but I got so excited every morning to see if I got anything in the mail. Also, my Grandma still mails me cards for every occasion- she's been my valentine for the past 23 years! haha
    Awesome post, Erin.

    - H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I LOVE this post. I absolutely love letter writing. I write letters to my neices and nephew at least once a month. There is just something so lovely about receiving mail that isn't a bill. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm personally a big fan of champagneconfetti blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete